2023 MRA Registration Announcement
April 4, 2023
Dear Marblehead Racing Association Member,
The MRA Committee is pleased to announce that registration for the 2023 MRA racing series is open effective April 3, 2023. Click here (https://theclubspot.com/register/regatta/uRetpnwKcU/class) to register.
The following items are presently available on the MRA website:
- The NOR, SI's, Sailing Charts and Courses for the 2023 season.
- The complete harbor schedule including MRA races and races managed by each of the three yacht club's: BYC, CYC and EYC.
- The MRA policy statement on Clean Regattas is under Racing and Results. As part of a harbor-wide effort, the MRA has committed to moving towards the goal of running Clean Regattas. We are focused on spreading awareness among our racers and developing best practices for our race committees, keeping in mind Sailors for the Sea's motto, 'It's about progress, not perfection.'
- Another major goal of the MRA is to provide sailboat racing safely. Under Resources and Links is a tab on MRA safety procedures which includes the most current 'MRA Emergency Response Manual'. This manual is currently being updated for review with the Harbormaster and the Chief of the Fire Department.
During the off season, the MRA Committee surveyed members of MRA and met with Fleet Representatives to evaluate what is important to the sailors of the MRA. Some outcomes of our research are consistent with prior years, some are changes, some are new and have resulted in the following:
- Same number of race days, more meaningful series – 18 days on the water with 3 series consisting of 5 days and a Fall Series consisting of 3 days. - First races take place over Memorial Day weekend.
- Continue the 3rd 'Inside Line' for the Town Class – 8 race days in the 'South Channel' area, maximum of two races per day. This is still being treated as an experiment to see if we want to return to the 3-circle model that was run for many years.
- This year we have re-instituted the 'Fall Series'. This will not be scored in the Season Championship.
- The survey also asked if more social events could be included in order for members of the sailing community get to know each other better. The MRA is hosting SAIL '23 – Cinco de Mayo Sailing Kickoff Party May 5th @ 6:30 pm' at the CYC. Invitations have been sent out!
- Please see the NOR for more information.
A season's pass includes racing in the re-branded Helly Hansen Sailing World Regatta Series, formerly known as the NOODs. You will still need to register for the regatta on the Sailing World Regatta Series website. The Corinthian Yacht Club is this year's host and Helly Hansen and Mount Gay return as sponsors.
Please email me with questions or comments and I'll do my best to find the answers for you.
Mark Toso, MRA Chairperson
See you out on the racecourse!